Bermuda grass can produce a thick, full, and deep green lawn if you maintain the grass properly. For the best results, its care calendar must follow a great fertilizer schedule. But not any fertilizer is the best for this grass. This page is a deep analysis and reviews of the best fertilizers for Bermuda grass to help you choose the right one.
In my review criteria, nitrogen is a very important element in choosing a top-quality fertilizer for Bermuda grass.
Top 8 Fertilizers for Bermuda Grass
|Super Juice All in One Soluble Supplement Lawn Fertilizer||1,541 Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK - Lawn Food Quality Liquid...||4,891 Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food, 5 lb.||2,566 Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food, 12.5 lb. - Lawn Fertilizer Feeds...||2,729 Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Safer Brand Ringer Lawn Restore, Lawn Fertilizer - 25 Pounds||661 Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed 3, 5,000 Sq. Ft.||6,936 Reviews||Read Reviews|
|The Andersons PGF Balanced 10-10-10 Fertilizer with...||476 Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Urban Farm Fertilizers Liquid Lawn Fertilizer, 1 gallon, 13-1-2.||357 Reviews||Read Reviews|
Pro Tip: Regardless of the type of lawn you have or the time of the year it is, you can always apply Humichar which will make your soil richer and make your fertilizer work better. Be sure to get a bag of Humichar whenever you fertilize or treat your lawn with anything.
- HumiChar is an organic, carbon-based soil amendment containing 50% high-quality humic acid and 50% granulated biochar -- Provides the benefit of quickly-available humic acid and the long-term soil building qualities of the biochar that lasts for decades
- Improve your soil health, lawn health, plant health, and reduce the use of fertilizers
- Easy to apply spherical, uniform, low dust formulation --Dispersible Granule, or "DG" Technology is The Andersons' patented nutrient delivery system. With DG Technology, particles are more rapidly and efficiently broken down
You can start applying fertilizer on Bermuda grass lawns in early spring and go all the way through the summer. You can choose to use a liquid fertilizer or granular ones. You will get a thick, lush, green lawn as long as you water your lawn adequately.
Here are the best fertilizers for Bermuda grass lawns:
1) The Andersons 10-10-10 Fertilizer + Docs Super Juice 14-2-4 + HumiChar Combo
So this combo is my new go-to formula for Bermuda lawns. I’ve had the best results with these last year and plan on using them again this year. First, apply HumiChar which is a carbon-based soil amendment that will improve any soil condition. Second, apply The Andersons 10-10-10, and then top it off with Doc’s Super Juice. The ultimate triple play that will get your Bermuda lawns thick and green all season. You can get them all at The Andersons store here.
Doc’s Super Juice
- Great all-in-one fertilizer, well balanced for healthy lawns.
- Boosts quick growth and lush, dark green lawn within 12 days.
- Contains humic and fulvic acids that are great for enriching your lawn.
- 70% humic acid for better soil microbes.
- 14-2-4 NPK ratio is balanced to feed your lawn adequately.
- Sea kelp in this supplement is great for stimulating growth and assists the lawn in recovering from heat and drought stress.
If you look at the composition of this lawn fertilizer, you’ll automatically know it is great for your Bermuda grass.
What’s amazing is that a very small amount of fertilizer covers a huge area in your lawn, making it one of the best fertilizers for Bermuda grass that will give you a bang for your buck (if you frequently care for your lawn the right way).
While most people think it doesn’t work, my tests and review show that it worked great for making a Bermuda grass lawn grow thicker and fuller. The only catch is you need to put down quite a lot of it every two weeks to start greening and growing your Bermuda grass lawn really fast.
Yes, it is a great supplement for your Bermuda grass lawn. However, there are a few things I did not like – just a few things that I would like to bring to your attention:
This fertilizer needs to be used as a supplement and not as the main fertilizer. The reason why most people get easily disappointed with this fertilizer is the expectation to for it to work on its own.
Doc’s Super Juice, as the manufacturer recommends, should be used in the following ways:
- Apply your normal fertilizer at half strength first.
- Follow this feeding program with Doc’s Super Juice supplement.
If you follow this routine, you’ll have found the best liquid Bermuda grass fertilizer supplement.
2) Lawnify Foundation 29-0-5 Fertilizer
Lawnifi has come up with a powerful fertilizer for both lawn and gardens with an NPK of 29-0-5. They have a new technology called Catalyst Technology which is a liquid fertilizer that contains nano-sized nutrients which are sprayed onto the granules of this fertilizer. This technology allows for nutrients to be applied and absorbed into the plant at the time of application. The slow release of the granule will provide nutrients to the plant for up to 3 months. Great for Bermuda Lawns.
3) Simple Lawn Solutions Advanced 16-4-8 Natural Liquid Fertilizer – Spring & Summer
Definitely one of the best liquid fertilizers for lawns. The concentrate has plenty of Nitrogen to help Bermuda grass grow thick faster.
- Highly rated performance liquid lawn fertilizer.
- 16-4-8 NPK (high nitrogen) is great for Bermuda grass growth.
- Best for both spring and summer seasons.
- Will help your lawn green up fast.
- Perfect for filling-up bare spots in the yard.
- Great for rapid growth of Bermuda grass.
- 32-ounce size can feed up to 3200 square feet
A 16-4-8 composition is key with important macronutrients that will help your lawn grow fast, healthier, and develop resistance to drought and diseases.
You’ll notice this liquid fertilizer also contains fish and seaweed ingredients that are great for helping your lawn stand out from the others in the neighborhood.
What I like most about this liquid fertilizer is that it does not contain any chemicals that, as you know, easily cause burns to the lawn as well as environmental damage.
Apart from being good liquid fertilizer for Bermuda grass, you can the Simple Lawn Solutions Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK – Lawn Food for various turfgrasses including the following: Zoysia, Centipede, Buffalo, Fescue, Bahia, Ryegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Florida Palmetto.
The ingredients of this liquid fertilizer are organic, making it safe for use on lawns on which children and pets play.
You’ll also see fast results after feeding your Bermuda grass lawn with this fertilizer because it is a quick-release nitrogen fertilizer. As such, you’ll see fast results in terms of spreading and greening.
What about the application? The liquid lawn feed comes packaged in a container with a hose attachment area. All you have to do is connect the hose to your pump and spray it directly on your lawn.
The one thing I did not like about this Simple Solutions Liquid Fertilizer for Lawns is that it may burn your lawn if you apply a little too much.
BEST NITROGEN FERTILIZER | BEST SLOW-RELEASE ORGANIC
4) Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food
- 30-0-6 NPK fertilizer analysis
- A single 5lb packet feeds 600 sq. ft.
- The high nitrogen content guarantees deep green grass.
- Fast-acting fertilizer on Bermuda grass
- Safe for use on other turfgrasses
Miracle Gro is one of the best water-soluble fertilizers for Bermuda grass and other turfgrasses. It produces quick greening and faster growth since you apply it as a liquid fertilizer.
What I like about it for my Bermuda lawn is that you can apply Miracle-Grow Lawn Food at any time of the growing season. my Bermuda grass turned beautifully green in just under a week and started to grow into a thick and lush carpet.
5) Milorganite 0636 Organic Nitrogen Fertilizer
- Top class organic fertilizer.
- Slow-release fertilizer for longer feeding.
- The salt-free formula won’t burn your lawn.
- 100% safe for humans and pets.
- Has iron for deep greening.
- Fast-acting – see results from one week of application.
- One application feeds Bermudagrass up to 10 weeks!
No doubt, Milorganite is the best organic, high nitrogen, slow-release fertilizer for Bermuda grass and other turfgrasses. Composition: N-P-K 6-4-0: 6% nitrogen; 4% phosphorus; and, 0% potassium.
This brand is a top-rated fertilizer for lawns because it really produces good results – greener, thicker, healthier Bermuda grass lawns over 10 weeks with just a single application.
In fact, on a lawn that was quite damaged in the summer of the other year, I applied Milorganite organic fertilizer and the Bermuda grass just turned into a beautifully lush, thick green blanket. The results were consistent and long-lasting.
Milorganite is a salt-free fertilizer, meaning that it won’t burn Bermuda grass or any other grass even if you apply an excessive amount. However, I would warn against over-fertilization because too much organic matter can easily lead to increased bioactivity – lawn grubs and other insects that can easily be a menace to your lawn.
Milorganite is also iron-rich, meaning it quickly helps your lawn turn into a lush, deep green cover that you can easily mow and stripe for a beautiful look.
The organic matter in this lawn fertilizer is heat activated and gets decomposed by microorganisms in your lawn. This means you can even apply it when your Bermuda grass lawn is dormant, the fertilizer will do no harm to your grass. It will start working soon when the grass starts coming back to life.
Pro tip: Never feed quick release fertilizers to a dormant lawn. It will feed the weeds and give them a head start over your lawn. Competing weeds such as crabgrass in Bermuda grass lawns can quickly spread and damage your lawn. If you want to fertilize a dormant lawn, Milorganite is one of the best slow-release fertilizers for Bermuda grass and other grass types.
6) Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food
Here’s what I liked about Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food:
- Great starter fertilizer – encourages deep and strong root development.
- The granules produce even feeding and consistent greening.
- High nitrogen content: 32-0-4 NPK composition for lush green lawns.
This is one of the highly-rated fertilizers for Bermuda grass and other turfgrasses across many online outlets. But since I don’t just like believing the hype and the high-ratings on Amazon, Home Depot, etc. I’ve tested various lawn products from Scotts.
Can you use Scotts Turf Builder on Bermuda grass? Absolutely! Whether you’re shopping for a good starter fertilizer or something to keep feeding an already grown turf, you’ll get all that from this highly-rated brand.
By now you already know a high nitrogen fertilizer is great for Bermuda grass. The composition contains no phosphorus but high amounts of Nitrogen. If you feed and water your lawn adequately, you’ll see quick growth and greening.
I did apply it on my Southern California lawn and it turned green really fast. Within two weeks of application, the test lawn transformed into a dense deep green cover. You may want to mow Bermuda grass twice to keep up with the growth rate.
Two things I did not like about it though even with the excellent performance in helping Bermuda grass grow thicker and greener:
- Being a synthetic fertilizer, Scotts Lawn Food can easily burn your Bermuda grass if you don’t get the instructions on the label. You will want to get the fertilizer spreader settings spot on, as well as the amount for your size of lawn correctly.
- I like a fertilizer that I can apply on a dormant lawn to help it get a headstart when temperatures start to warm up. This one is not recommended for use during Bermuda grass dormancy.
FERTILIZER AND WEED KILLER 70/ BEST WEED AND FEED 90
7) Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed 3
- Powerful formula for killing 50+ broadleaf weeds.
- Feeds lawns, makes Bermuda grass grow thick.
- Helps Bermuda grass crowd and choke out weeds easily.
A weed and feed fertilizer is also good for Bermuda grass lawns. It does two things for you: kill weeds and nourish your turfgrass.
If I can find a product to put down and do two things with it, I always prefer the combination. Scotts Turf Builder Weed and feed kills quite a number of broadleaf weeds in your lawn, so there’s no need to buy another weed killer for lawns.
That said, there’s a reason why Scotts lawn care products are great and highly rated. They produce results, are reliable, and affordable. Homeowners with small lawns as well as those with bigger lawns can find the right size.
What weeds will the Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed kill? Here’s the complete list.
|Catsear (Coast Dandelion)||Morning Glory|
|Cudweed||Red Sorrel (Sheep Sorrel)|
|Curly Dock||Scarlet Pimpernel|
To get the best from this weed and feed fertilizer for Bermuda grass lawns, ensure you apply it when your grass is wet.
You may want to water your lawn first before applying the granular weed and feed fertilizer for it to work effectively. If not, wait until immediately after it rains to apply it.
Cons of Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed
While I like this product for many reasons, I always advise homeowners to use a separate weed control herbicide other than one that comes in one application with a fertilizer.
One major downside is that Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed can not work as a pre-emergent for weeds such as crabgrass. It also does not kill crabgrass and most grassy weeds.
You’ll still need to put down a crabgrass preventer and killer separately to control such tough-to-kill grassy weeds.
Another alternative you may want to consider is the BioAdvanced 704840B 3 in 1 Weed and Feed for Southern Lawns (Granules).
8) Safer Brand Ringer Lawn Restore Fertilizer (BEST ORGANIC)
- Quick plant response after application.
- Rapid greening and thickening from as few as 3 days.
- Won’t burn your lawn.
- 100% organic with real plant nutrients (no animal waste).
- 10-0-6 NPK – high nitrogen for Bermuda grass lawns.
- No odors unlike Milorganite organic fertilizer.
- Highly effective microbial feed for better turf soil vitality.
- Can be applied in winter where longer growth cycles occur.
- You can use it on warm and cool-season lawn grasses.
Safer Brand Ringer Lawn Restore Fertilizer is an amazing product on our list of top fertilizers for Bermuda grass.
Even if you’re starting new sod, you’ll find its formulation great for the development of stronger roots. It breaks down the soil structure, making it easy for Bermuda grass roots to penetrate deep into the soil.
As a result, you’ll get deeper roots, which also means better absorption of water and nutrients as well as improved drought tolerance during summer.
You may have heard about top-rated organic fertilizers. They’re good, but some like Milorganite may come with some odor to withstand. Safer Brand Ringer Lawn Restore Fertilizer does not have any odor when applied because it is made using plant-based ingredients. No poultry litter is used to make it.
Pro tip: The best way to develop a healthy Bermuda grass fertilizer is to take care of the microorganisms thriving in your soil. All the other Bermuda grass calendar activities should drive towards this.
Lawn Restore fertilizer works towards a healthy microorganism activity in the lawn. The bacteria and fungi in your soil then produce the nutrients your lawn needs to be lush, green and thick.
9) Urban Farm Fertilizers Liquid Lawn Fertilizer
- Contains mycorrhizae, humic acid, and enzymes, all brewed in one.
- Balanced N-P-K formulation, rich in iron.
- Mycorrhizae increase nutrient uptake by 100 – 1000 times.
- Greens Bermuda grass really quick, almost instantly.
- Contains iron for quick greening.
This one is a foliar fertilizer. I tried it on a new Bermuda grass lawn and it took hold fast, grew fast and is now very green. The reason for this is the mycorrhizae fungi in the formulation.
The fungi form a beneficial relationship with grass – they form extensions on the roots of the grass, making it possible to reach deeper into the soil and absorb more nutrients.
Mycorrhizae form a mutually beneficial relationship with grass roots, stimulating lawns to grow thick and lush.
If your lawn is starting to weaken and grow thin, you might want to pick this as your best fertilizer for Bermuda grass.
Before You Buy Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass (Buyers Guide)
First things first, always submit a soil sample or do a pH soil test to determine the nutrient that you need in plenty. This will help you in choosing a good fertilizer for Bermuda grass in your lawn.
Read the label all the time to determine the application ratios in order to get the right amount of fertilizer to feed your lawn.
Best Starter Fertilizer for Bermudagrass Lawns
A good Bermuda grass calendar should start right at the seeding level. Most of use prefer going for sod. To make your sod take root and firm-up real quick, apply a good starter fertilizer.
For Bermuda grass care, creating a rich soil environment that sustains the seedlings for at least a month is key. That’s why you need a starter fertilizer that promotes root development and faster growth of leaf blades. That means high nitrogen, and a fairly good amount of phosphorus.
Here are the best starter fertilizer for Bermuda grass lawns:
Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass
- Grows new grass 70% thicker, 35% quicker versus unfed grass
- Improves seeding results--also great for sod and grass plugs
- 24-25-4 fertilizer ratio provides the nutrients for developing lawns
- 24-25-4 N-P-K fertilizer for better roots and grass blades.
- 35% quicker growth of new sod and grass seed.
- 75% thicker growth of Bermuda grass
- Can also be used to boost growth when overseeding Bermuda grass.
If you’re just starting to establish a new lawn, you’d rather start with a good starter fertilizer for Bermuda grass. Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food is one of the highly recommended for new grass seed and sod.
It gives your lawn a quick start by speeding up the development of new and healthy grass blades and roots.
When you feed your grass with the Scotts Starter Food, it gains 75% thicker growth and 35% quicker growth than when you use a standard fertilizer. So if you thought a 10-10-10 fertilizer would be great starter fertilizer for Bermuda grass lawns, you might want to consider this product first.
LESCO 18-24-12 Professional Starter Fertilizer
For a new landscape, you want to really establish your grass fast. Some options you have may be sodding, hydroseeding, or seeding. Whichever method you use, you might want to give your Bermuda grass a great start.
Lesco’s 18-24-12 fertilizer is a professional-grade starter feed. Here are the pros and cons of this product:
- Safe for new seedlings – won’t burn them.
- Slow-release formula for continuous feeding.
- One application will feed new sod for 8 – 12 weeks.
- High phosphorus content for strong roots.
- You can use it for Southern, Mid-South, Midwest and Northeast lawns.
- Can be used when overseeding a Bermuda grass lawn.
Pro tip: Remember to wait to fertilize a new Bermuda lawn until at least 8 weeks. Most early applications of any fertilizer can easily burn your lawn. In some instances, you may end up wasting fertilizer because the young roots may not be able to absorb as much of it as you’d want.
What to look for in a good fertilizer for Bermuda grass
Bermuda grass fertilizer will usually have a higher N ratio in the NPK rating on fertilizer bags. The high nitrogen will give the grass that deep green that most are looking for.
When to fertilize Bermuda grass?
To maintain a good turf, you may want to be spot-on when it comes to timing and applying lawn fertilizer. But what is the best time to fertilize Bermuda grass?
In a proper Bermuda grass calendar, care starts with new sod or seed. In general, start a fertilizer program in spring when temperatures start to warm up a bit. Start when soil temperature is at least 60 °F. This is when your grass starts to turn green again after the frost goes away.
Early applications can easily burn your lawn or lead to wastage of lawn food as the Bermuda grass may not be ready to absorb the fertilizer during dormancy.
Sometimes, I like to apply a winter fertilizer on my lawn to give it a head start come spring.
Note that weather changes in different patterns across different areas and states such as Texas, Alabama, North Carolina, etc. It is important to use soil temperature and also wait until your Bermudagrass is at least 50% green to start applying fertilizer.
Benefits of Selecting a Good Fertilizer for Bermuda Lawns
By now you already know how important it is to choose a good fertilizer for your Bermuda grass lawn. With the correct product, there’s a lot your turfgrass will benefit when you follow the right fertilization calendar and schedule.
Here are the benefits of fertilizing Bermuda grass and how to know you’re reaping them:
The color gets greener and deep
A well-fed Bermuda grass lawn should get a greener color. This is what you’ll notice when you look at your neighboring lawns and find that they do not have the deep green color that yours has.
Poor feeding schedule easily leads to browning, or the lack of the intense green that usually produces a lush green turf.
Turf density refers to how thick your lawn is. If you’re growing Bermuda grass, you should expect it spread quickly and form a thick cover.
You’ll only get a dense Bermuda turf if you feed it with the right amounts of fertilizer. The nitrogen in the top rated fertilizers for Bermuda grass helps it develop healthy shoots and grass blades.
The phosphorus is very important in helping your lawn develop roots, which are very important for feeding or absorbing nutrients and water from the soil.
Note that dense turfs:
- Are good for choking out weeds
- Tolerate foot traffic better
- Have a beautiful appearance
Recovery from thinning
A good fertilization program can help your lawn to improve and grow back after suffering from disease, thinning, and intense abuse from foot traffic.
A well-fed Bermuda lawn will fill in the bald spots really quick because it grows from the horizontal stolons.
University of Arkansas, Division of Agriculture: Bermuda Grass Lawn Care and Calendar
Hi, Alex Kuritz. here. Growing up I remember that my family had one of the best lawns in the neighborhood. Richly green and lush. I did a lot as I grew up in terms of caring and tending for not only my family’s lawn but also my neighbors. I can say I have years of experience, and I am here to share it with you.
Please leave your comments below as I try to respond to everyone that has questions.